In case you haven’t upgraded yet, this is another chance. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users still can get Windows 10 for free in a legal way.
Preparing and getting the Upgrade
What you need?
- You need a clean and correctly working Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, this means no damaged files should be on the system in order to avoid errors. You can use
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:repairSource\install.wimin order to correct a corrupted image.
- In case you have a third-party antivirus or a firewall, they must be removed or entirely disabled.
- All temp (%tmp%) folders must be empty before you begin the upgrade process.
- If you get any errors or face upgrade problems, use Genuine Ticket method and clean install the OS – this might help in case you get strange errors.
Installing the upgrade
- For a problem-free installation, you must install all the latest updates for your current operating system.
- Download the special version of the utility “Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant“, with which you can check the compatibility of your computer and update your operating system Windows 7 SP1 or 8.1 for free.
- Run the utility and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709) can be activated using the product keys from Windows 7 and 8.1.
- If you own the OEM version of Windows 7 or 8.1, and you perform a clean installation of the system, you can go through the activation procedure in the Settings> Upgrade and Security> Activation application.
You still can get Windows 10 for free even after Microsoft said it’s over, I’m not sure when this hole will be closed but this is the only option to upgrade your OS for free without using any cracks.
I tested this method myself in a VM and can confirm that you get Build 1709 – which you then can upgrade to Spring Creators Upgrade.
Do you plan to upgrade your Windows 7 or 8.1? Let me know in the comments section.