The first patchday for April 2018 is here, several Office versions getting non-security-relevant updates in order to fix reported problems. These updates are as always more or less optional and you can wait to install them until they got reviewed or spring in the cold water and report what happened.
Microsoft released a bunch of updates, the given KB articles are as always far from complete and they’re not really showing as much information as they could provide.
- Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB4018317)
- Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 (KB2965234)
- Update for Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 2010 (KB4018312)
- Update for Microsoft Project 2010 (KB3128038)
- Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB3178636)
- Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB4018333)
- Update for Microsoft Outlook 2013 (KB4018303)
- Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 (KB4018289)
- Update for Microsoft Project 2013 (KB4018335)
- Update for Skype for Business 2015 (KB4018334)
- Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4011667)
- Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4018322)
- Update for Microsoft Office 2016 Language Interface Pack (KB4018329)
- Update for Microsoft Outlook 2016 (KB4018326)
- Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2016 (KB4011726)
- Update for Microsoft Project 2016 (KB4018320)
- Update for Skype for Business 2016 (KB4018323)
This update seems to correct an issue where you couldn’t add an account in case you were already signed in with another account.
This seems to be the biggest update, it changes a lot.
- The custom forms with Visual Basic Script (VBScript) doesn’t run in shared calendars in Outlook.
- You see unexpected PIN or password prompts when you receive signed attachments that use strong protection.
- When you reply to an email, if a recipient’s display name matches the sender’s display name, the recipient name may be removed from the recipient’s list.
- When you add users to an empty Distribution List, you don’t immediately see the changes in the address book in Outlook 2016 because of a delay.
- When you connect to Microsoft Exchange Server through a metered network, you see that favorite folders disappear from the navigation pane.
- You see that authentication prompts appear behind the active Outlook window and cannot be accessed.
KB4018322 for Office 2016
This update is more a less a parents update for their children because children aren’t allowed to install extensions from the store without any permission. You now see a warning and a new dialog which improves the entire process so you get directly notified if some user wants to install/buy something within the Store.
KB3178636 for 2013
This update is a crashfix update which solves a problem when you open a message that contains U+FEFF (byte-order mark or zero-width non-breaking space) characters in the body.
KB4018317 for Office 2010
This is also a bugfix update, which solves a problem when a custom forms with Visual Basic Script doesn’t run in shared calendars within Outlook.
We got a lot of bugfixes and crash fixes updates, most updates don’t offer a new feature and the new features which are not integrated are questionable. I haven’t heard that someone got bigger problems with the updates so you might be good to go, just do a backup and try it.