Another day, another day on earth with updates, cool isn’t it? Google released just another final version, the second for this year if I’m not totally wrong. The focus in this release was security related fixes and it also added several new features into the Browser.
- Take screenshots faster on Chromebooks with a 360-degree hinge by pressing the power and volume down buttons at the same time
- Revamped Intent Picker for Play Applications (Same window by default with override)
- Lockscreen Performance Improvements
- Enable VPN for Google Play Apps
- Enhancements to our protected media pipeline for Android
- Android Container Auto Update Optimizations
- Touchscreen pairing settings
Google released at the same time new Beta Builds today. As always you can upgrade the Browser with the integrated updatr mechanism or download the installer, portable versions are avaible already on portableappz and other well known platforms.
This release contains additional browser mitigations against speculative side-channel attack techniques which means the version is fully patched against Meltdown & Spectre among several other well known security holes.
The only additional security relatedhole got closed too, which was found during ongoing internal security work:
 Various fixes from internal audits, fuzzing and other initiatives
That’s it from the security side, there is nothing more to mention. The about:flags are exactly the same like with v63.
Quick tutorial how to create a portable version
Okay I need to hurry because I’m low on coffee, so here is a quick guide how to make a portable version yourself:
- Get Chrome-bin and replace the old with new one, just extract an old portable installer and repolace the components with the extracted one from the current Chrome version.
- Now open the Appinfo.ini (you can take it from an old portable installer) file in Appinfo folder and change the versions number, save it and that’s all. Now you have absolutely correct latest version.
I did that for you lazy folks already, go ahead and grab it:
x86 (32-Bit) www.upload.ee/files/7976532/GoogleChromePortable_64.0.3282.140_online.paf.exe.html VirusTotal: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/5f49864d8643fcce1aad47eb659db8c7a2f47919286963a72b19a3fb2fd5f32c/analysis/1517568812/ x64 (64-Bit) www.upload.ee/files/7976535/GoogleChromePortable64_64.0.3282.140_online.paf.exe.html VT: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/62cc11de5ab033b3fdbf03348af403a73b4f69d271ca089e25bdd25e281d6914/analysis/1517568900/