At the time or writing this article, there not many specific details given about the update but from a quick inspection, I see it’s basically the same patch like the second one for this year with some corrections regarding the known issue. What we know for sure are the following information listed below.
Improvements and fixes
This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update.
- Addresses a compatibility issue where colors are distorted when the system is connected to displays that support wide color gamut.
- Addresses a condition where a second monitor that is connected to legacy AMD display adapters flashes after waking from sleep.
- Addresses issue that causes delays when switching keyboard languages using Alt+Shift.
- Addresses compatibility issues when rendering certain closed captions or subtitle formats during video playback.
- Addresses issue where the Microsoft Edge Allow Extension Group Policy for the disabled state was not working.
- Provides additional protections for 32-bit (x86) versions of Windows 10, version 1709.
- Resolves the issue reported by some customers on a small subset of older AMD processors where the processor entered an unbootable state after installing January 3, 2018—KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192).
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
Windows Update History reports that KB4054517 failed to install because of error 0x80070643.
Even though the update was successfully installed, Windows Update incorrectly reports that the update failed to install. To verify the installation, select Check for updates to confirm that there are no additional updates available.
You can also type About your PC in the Search box on the taskbar to confirm that your device is using the expected OS build.
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
January 31, 2018—KB4058258 for 1709 (OS Build 16299.214) (support.microsoft.com)
- January 31, 2018—KB4077735 for 1507 (OS Build 10240.17741) (support.microsoft.com)